- Stormwater Information
When it rains, stormwater drains from our yards and streets via the ground and storm drains, back into our waterways. Along the way, it can pick up pollutants such as bacteria, chemicals, and excess sediment. Perry Township is committed to promoting stormwater awareness and best practices, and doing our part to teach residents about the risks of unclean stormwater.
The Ohio EPA has identified total maximum daily loads (TMDLs) which indicates how much a pollutant needs to be reduced to meet water quality standards. Perry Township is located within the Olentangy River Watershed. The primary TMDLs of focus for Perry are pathogens, nutrients, and sediment.
There's plenty you can do to help keep stormwater, and our waterways, clean:
- Plant native plants. The extensive root systems of native plants provide extra filtration and keep soil in place.
- Remove leaves and trash from storm drains.
- Never dispose of trash down a storm drain. The waste is unhealthy. Always report illegal dumping to the authorities.
- Bag and dispose of pet waste in the trash. Pet waste is a source of unhealthy bacteria!
- Use fertilizers and sparingly. The chemical runoff can contaminate waterways. Sweep excess off sidewalks and driveways.
- Participate in community events!
Want to learn more? Check out the resources to learn more and other ways to help!
Learn more about the Ohio EPA's TMDL Program: https://epa.ohio.gov/divisions-and-offices/surface-water/reports-data/total-maximum-daily-load-tmdl-program
Learn more about soil and water protection from the Franklin Soil and Water Conservation District: https://www.franklinswcd.org/
Like gardening? Find best practices for lawn care: https://www.getgrassy.org/
Participate in the Community Backyards program: https://www.communitybackyards.org/
Make sure you septic tanks are safe and worknig properly: https://myfcph.org/environmental-health/septic-sewage/
Check out the Franklin County Engineer's stormwater resources: http://www.franklincountyengineer.org/stormwater-resources/